Wednesday 2 April 2014

Dance Show Pictures (3rd set)

Here are a few images I took during a Dance show rehearsal. As you will see these images are different to my ones from the studio shoot as I took them whilst they were rehearsing a dance, rather than asking them to pose for me. When taking the images I had to tackal with the dark environment, Vibrant/colourful stage lights and the speed of the dancers. I used the camera on shutter priority (Tv), so I only had to change the shutter speed, the camera would do everything else for me. Although these are a different style of images showing dance, I preffer my studio shoot as I was able to take more control of the images.


In this first image we see a girl doing a back bend with one leg straight in the air, and if you look closely at the costume, you can see it's a giraffe. I really like the image as it combines art an dance. It shows us how the many interesting positions and shapes within dance can create realistic things. This image also shows us the dancers flexibility, which is a key concept of dance.

In this image we can see how emotion comes through in their dance a they fully extend their arms and legs into the position. If they didn't put any effort in then the position would have looked boring. The orange of the costumes and the purple of the lights really contrast and stand out in this image.



This image really shows us how important timing is because in group numbers, dancers have to be in sync with each other; which we can see in this image because they're all in the same position. The orange costumes again contrast with the green lighting and they link in with the theme of the dance - which was lion king
Again here is another image showing us them all dancing in time. I decided to make it black and white because the purple stage lights made it really bright and it bit hard to look at. The purple stage lights also gave it quite a washed out effect which is why there isn't much contrast between the blacks and whites. 


I really like this next image as the back light onstage gives us a silhouette effect of the actual dancers.when you first see it you'd think it was painted/printed, but the more you look at it the more you realize it's real people. This also links with the mystery of dance, who are they? why are they there? what's happened? In Photoshop I really boosted up the contrast to make the blue really bright and the blacks totally black.

Here we see the dancers sliding and again they really include their emotions by fully extending their arms and legs to put full effort in. The shapes within the dancers also make the image look interesting, the triangle shape with their legs and floor, and a backwards 'L' shape with their arms.Again the stage lights have made the image look really bright and if you look closely you can see their shadows in the background.



I really like this next image which is why I made it black and white because I want people to focus on the dancers and what they're doing rather than their surroundings and vibrant stage lights. They're both doing an 'off balance split jump' and again they're in time with each other. This move also shows the energy needed within dance, because they needed to jump high and then give that extra burst of energy and flexibility to pull the position. I needed a high shutter speed for this image as it was a quick move.







There is a lot going on in this next image, but the main focus is of the girl, Jasmine,  doing the 'straddle jump' which they were doing in a kind of leapfrog effect landing on top of each other. They were wearing white costumes for this dance and there was a range of bright coloured stage lights which makes the image very vibrant to look at. So I made this image black and white so it was easier to focus on the dancers.



I'm not so keen on these image as first of all the lighting isn't the best as the purple stage lights have taken over the image and made it very vibrant and have given it a wash effect. Also the dancers aren't all in time with eachother, which makes it look less effective. 
Again, although something really good is happening in this image, I'm not so keen on it again because of the purple lighting. I also needed to be further back when taking this image so everyone could really see what was happening. The girl in the air, Layla, was actually being swung over the front of the stage - however it's not very clear in this image as we cant see where the stage ends. 
Despite the the purple lighting slightly over powering, I really like this image as they're all in sync and there are some interesting shapes going on. The bent arms and spread out hands make the image look very interesting as it looks quite busy. We can also see that it is quite a hard dance move. They're tap dancing and if you look closely you ca see they're on the heel of their front foot, but the toes of their back foot.
With this image I again made it black and white to really focus on the dancers and their emotions. This was taken during a quick partner sequence, so I needed a quick shutter speed. we can see in Katie's face her emotions within this dance, but also through her extended arm as she is really feeling the movement. I really like this image as it shows us how two dancers can interact with each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment