Thursday 23 January 2014

Target Audience and Image production

Who is my target audience?
My genre is dance, so my target audience is obviously going to be dancers and people interested in dance. I also think I will aim my images to all ages because there is a big age range of people who are interested in dance. For example, if someone quiet young sees them, they might inspire them to start dancing and for someone who already dances but is still quite young, the images might be something to look up to and aim towards. For someone a lot older, they can look at them and remember a life they had as a dancer.

However, not just dancers might be interested in dance photography. Artists could also be because dance is also an art and they may want a still image of a dancer to paint/draw. 

What am I trying to say about my imagery?
As a dancer myself, this is a very passionate subject of mine and in my opinion, a lot of people don't know the true meaning of dance. Most people think dancing is just doing a few moves to the beat within a song, but it's actually a lot harder than that! Some people don't realise the amount of strength, stamina and flexibility needed to be a dancer. Dance, is also about expressing your emotions and in most cases telling a story. There is a quote "Dance is the poetry of the foot" and this shows us how dance has a meaning.

So in my imagery I want to show just how hard dance is, the sheer amount of strength needed and how far dancers push themselves!

Where will I produce my imagery?
From looking at previous pictures on the internet, there are many possible locations to shoot dance photography. The majority of them were taken in a photography studio, where they were able to get a plain background and use different lighting techniques to get different style of images. The next most popular was in the dance studio, where we can see the dancers in their home territory practicing and rehearsing. There was also images of dancers on stage during a show, and some in random locations outside - on he street, next to an old building, the underground, park etc.

I think I will produce the majority of my images in the photography studio at college as it will allow me to work around with the lights, but also have a plain background so all my focus is on the dancers. I also have a dance show coming up soon, so I will see if i am able to take photo's in a rehearsal for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment